Kingfisher’s Three Cardinal Rules of Being a Good Tenant

  1. Pay rent on time and in full.
  2. Take care of the property.
  3. Be a good neighbor.

Follow the basic rules above and you’ll have a smooth and enjoyable stay with us. Below are lots more details to help with day-to-day questions that might crop up.

Maintenance, Damages, Utilities

Q: What constitutes an after-hours maintenance emergency?

A: Examples of true emergencies are fire, flood, gas leak, carbon monoxide alarm, a water leak too big to contain until the next business day, no heat during extreme cold, or a broken door lock you cannot secure. If you have a true emergency, you need to do two things:

  1. The first thing to do is call 541-745-4835, Kingfisher’s Emergency Maintenance Line, and leave a message with your name, address, apartment number, telephone number, and a detailed description of the problem.
  2. The second thing to do is call back immediately to the same number, the emergency maintenance line, which will break through the silenced function of the mobile phone and connect you with a live person.


Q: I locked myself out. Now what?

A: Lock-outs are not an emergency. However, they’re annoying, and we’re willing to help you get back in your home if we’re available. You have three options:

  1. If it’s during normal business hours, call our main line, 541-745-4832, and we’ll try to get to you by the end of the day; we charge $60 for this service. You must be present when we unlock the door.
  2. If it’s after-hours, call our emergency maintenance line, 541-745-4835; we charge $100 for this service. You must be present when we unlock the door.
  3. Call a local locksmith. They charge $70 – $120+, depending on the service.


Q: What am I required to maintain in my unit?

A: Just a few key items:

– Test the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors at least every 6 months and replace batteries as needed. Tampering with the detectors could result in a $250 fine.

– Replace light bulbs as they burn out.

– Prevent mold/mildew from growing by:

(a) keeping your unit at a minimum of 60 degrees.

(b) run bathroom fan during showers and for 30-60 minutes afterward.

(c) do NOT cover the windows with blankets, etc.; and open the blinds regularly for some sun!

(d) immediately notify Kingfisher if there’s a water leak.

(e) keep furniture at least 1 inch from the wall to allow air to circulate behind it.

(f) remove mildew with a soap and water mix made of ¼ cup dish soap diluted in 1 gallon of water; remove soapy water from wall with a clean rag soaked in clean water. Dry with a towel.

– If you are responsible for yard care, then make sure you mow, water, and trim regularly.

– If you have a washer/dryer, make sure (a) the water supply hoses to the washer are not leaking, and (b) clean the lint trap between every dryer load.

– Keep your unit clean in general, to prevent attracting pests, causing damage, or creating a safety hazard. WE INSPECT EVERY 6 MONTHS.


Q: What’s the difference between “Normal Wear & Tear” and Damage?

A: You are not responsible for normal wear and tear, but you ARE responsible for damage, neglect and abuse.

Normal Wear & Tear is not your responsibility to fix; here are some examples:
+ Pin/nail holes from hanging pictures (up to 40 total in unit)

+ Caulking discoloration in sinks, tubs and showers

+ Minor scuffs on hard flooring, shelving, baseboards, and door jambs

+ Minor carpet wear in heavy traffic areas

Damage, Neglect and Abuse is your responsibility, and comes in many shapes, sizes, and smells. If any of the following adjectives apply to a property component, it’s probably your responsibility:

Property Component Adjective
dented  filthy  over-grown  soggy
 bent  infested  painted over  sticky
 blocked  jammed  punched  stinky
 broken  Junky  reeks  tampered with
 burned  leaking  removed  torn
 clogged  missing  scratched  trashed
 cracked  moldy  scribbled on  blackened
 cut  non-functional  scruffy ripped


Q: How do I submit a maintenance request?

A: Easy! Log into your Tenant Online Portal <link to Tenant Portal> and tell us what needs to be fixed and when we can stop by. We’ll get right on it!


Q: I need to get rid of big piece of furniture, like a mattress or couch. What do I do?

A: Easy! Give Republic Services a call at 541-754-0444, and arrange for them to pick up your oversized item for a fee. Do NOT leave your item next to the apartment’s communal dumpster. You could be charged significantly more than just doing the right thing and calling Republic Services.


Q: I damaged my unit, or my guest damaged my unit. Now what?

A: You are responsible for your unit and your guests. Do NOT attempt to fix the damage yourself. Inform Kingfisher of the issue, and we’ll inspect it. If it needs to be fixed, we will get it done or have a contractor do it, and bill you.

Q: Is it okay to hang pictures on my walls?

A: Sure! Only use pins or small nails, that are less than 1 inch long, and please no more than 40 holes total in your rental. Do NOT use any adhesives, such as tape, command hooks, mounting putty or glue; adhesives can leave residue that is difficult to remove and could result in charges to your account.


Q: My toilet is clogged. Now what?

A: Do NOT re-flush the toilet. Wait for the bowl to drain as far as it will go, to minimize plunger splash-back. Properly seat your plunger on the bottom of the bowl, with the lip of the plunger completely covering the exit hole in the bottom of the bowl. Push down firmly on the plunger to release the clog. Repeat if necessary.


Q: Can I flush feminine hygiene products or “flushable” wipes down the toilet?

A: No.


Q: The sink/tub is draining slowly. What should I do?

A: Investigate the drain for a clod of hair and pull it out, since hair is often the cause of clogged drains. Consider using a hair catcher/drain strainer over the drain intake to avoid additional clogs. Give us a call if you can’t clear the clog, and we’ll tackle it, but understand that repeated drain clogs could result in charges to your account.


Q: The sink faucet water pressure seems low. What now?

A: Try this first: The aerator on the end of the faucet, where the water comes out, may have mineral build up. Unscrew the aerator and remove any dirt, minerals, or flotsam, then put the aerator back on and try again.


Q: An electrical outlet (socket/plug-in) is dead. Now what?


Step 1: The outlet may be controlled by a wall switch; turn nearby switches on to check.

Step 2: The outlet may be on a circuit that’s protected by a GFCI (ground-fault circuit interrupt) that was tripped. Look for another outlet with GFCI test/reset buttons in the center of the outlet, and push the reset button.

Step 3: Check the electrical panel for a breaker that has been tripped. If you find a tripped breaker, first turn it all the way off, then back on.

If none of these work, give us a call at 541-745-4832.


Q: My garbage disposal quit working. What should I do?

A: If the disposal makes noise but won’t turn, it may be jammed. Turn the disposal OFF, then manually turn the disposal drum back and forth using an Allen wrench placed in the socket located on the bottom of the disposal.


If the disposal makes no sound when you turn on the switch, it’s internal breaker may have popped. To reset the breaker, turn the disposal OFF, then push the button on the bottom of the disposal (usually white or red) and try turning the disposal on again.


Never put items in the disposal that are tough or that can turn into a sticky goop, such as bones, flower stems, rinds (tough stuff), or banana peels, potato skins, or clods of rice or pasta (sticky goop). Never put non-food items in the disposal.


Q: Can I hook up cable?

A: Sure! Most of our properties already have cable hook ups and many have satellite. If you would like these services, you will be responsible for contacting the provider and making payments. If you intend to have a satellite dish installed, you must work with us first, since careful planning needs to be completed before changes are made to the property.


Q: Who pays for utilities?


– We pay for trash service at nearly all our rentals. However, we do not pay for disposing of large items like couches or mattresses; call Republic Services at 541-754-0444, and arrange for them to pick up your oversized item for a fee.

– Typically, in our single-family, duplex, and townhome rentals, you pay for all other utilities.

– In our complexes, you pay for electricity and natural gas and we pick up the rest of the tab.


Q: When is rent due?

A: Rent is due on the 1st of each month. You have a grace period until 11:59 pm on the 4th. After that you will be charged a $100 late fee.


Q: How to I pay rent?

A: There are o’ so many ways!

The Best: Pay directly from your bank account, using Kingfisher’s Tenant Portal. Set up monthly payments and rent is never late! Best of all…Kingfisher pays the transaction fee! Who doesn’t love something free from their landlord?

The Good: Pay with credit or debit card via Kingfisher’s Tenant Portal and Zego. Fees apply.

Also Good: Pay with cash, via Zego, at the Corvallis Wal-Mart or Fred Meyer, just bring your Zego account ID and cash payment. No need to purchase a money order or drop off a payment at our office. Fee applies.

The Old School: Drop off a personal check, money order or cashier’s check at our office. A drop box is located on the pole outside the main door to our office, at 120 SW 4th St, Suite 200, Corvallis, OR 97333.


Q: Do you accept partial rent payments?

A: No. Rent must be paid in full.


Q: I bounced a rent check. What now?

A: You will be charged $35 plus whatever the bank charges us. Moving forward, you’ll be required to pay with secured funds, such as Zego CashPay, money order or cashier’s check.


Q: How much of my security deposit can I get back?

A: We want to you get ALL of it back, because that means you did a fantastic job of cleaning your rental when you moved out. The only exception is if we had the carpet professionally cleaned before you moved in, and in that case your security deposit will be charged for professional carpet cleaning after you move out.


Q: When will I get my security deposit back?

A: The final accounting / security deposit refund will be sent, in the form on one report and one check in all tenant’s names, and put in the mail within 31 days after your move-out date.

Marijuana, Smoking and Vaping

Q: Can l use marijuana, smoke or vape on the property?

A: No. Smoking, vaping and marijuana (in any form) are not allowed anywhere on the property. Although Oregon allows marijuana use, it is still considered illegal under federal law. Repeated smoking violations can result in a $250 fine per occurrence, or even result in eviction. Also, if you smoke somewhere else, and bring enough of the smell back to your unit that it can be detected, you may be charged the costs of remediation, e.g. full interior repaint, carpet replacement, etc.

People, Pets, Parking, and More

Q: How many people can live in my apartment?

A: With some narrow exceptions, occupancy is limited to 2 people per bedroom plus one person in the living room. For example, a two-bedroom apartment would be limited to 2+2+1=5 people.


Q: How long can a guest stay?

A: No more than 10 consecutive days or a total of 20 days in any 12-month period.


Q: We want to change roommates. Is that allowed?

A: This is usually not a problem. Check out the instructions on our Tenants > Move Out Process page <link to Move Out Process page>.


Q: Are pets allow?

A: No.


Q: Can a pet visit?

A: No. This can result in a $250 fine.


Q: Can I sublet my apartment?

A: No.


Q: Can I barbecue outside on the property?

A: Sadly, no. Barbecues and fire pits are not allowed anywhere on the property.


Q: Are there quiet hours, and can I have a party?

A: Yes & no. Yes, quiet hours are 10 pm to 7 am. No parties.


Q: Can I store stuff outside?

A: With limited exceptions, no. Walkways, balconies, decks, patios and yards are not storage areas. Areas visible to the outside must be kept neat and free of clutter: no trash, laundry, furniture, (except specifically designed for outdoor use), dead plants, empty boxes, storage items or unsightly objects are allowed in these areas. No trampolines, bounce houses, pools, hot tubs, sandboxes, etc. are allowed on decks, patios or yards.


Q: Where can I park?

A: If your rental has off-street parking, refer to the Parking Agreement portion of your Rental Agreement for parking rules. You must comply with all parking signage. Trailers, RV’s, campers, boats, etc. are not allowed. Do not park on lawns, sidewalks, stair landings, etc.. Speed limit in parking lots is 5 mph. Do not block thoroughfares; it is dangerous and rude.

Kingfisher’s Current Awful Joke (aka Dad joke)

Q: What do you call an alligator crossed with a vest?

A: An investigator!

Kingfisher Property Management is a family-owned business, and we’ve found that humor—even bad humor—helps maintain relationships and diffuse tension. Even a tiny amount of joy can help turn a cruddy day into a decent day, or decent day into a good day. So check back here periodically for a laugh, even if it’s a small, painful one, and maybe your day will be slightly better.